Massage therapy addresses different needs through varying techniques, including Swedish Massage, which aims to relax muscle tension and improve both lymphatic and blood circulation. Swedish Massage is the recommended massage method during pregnancy because it addresses many common discomforts associated with the skeletal and circulatory changes brought on by hormone shifts during pregnancy.
Prenatal massage is tailored to fit a pregnant woman’s ever changing body. During the first trimester, while lying on both stomach and back are still possible, prenatal massage will not vary greatly from a typical massage. However, during the second and third trimesters, the position for a pregnant woman is adjusted to side-lying.
Benefits of Prenatal Massage:
- Hormone regulation
- Reduction of swelling, back pain, joint pain and nerve pain
- Improved circulation and sleep
- Increased oxygen supply to soft tissue and muscles
- Decreased muscle tension and headaches
- Reduction of stress and anxiety